SynapticGroove
So, many, many years ago - actually, 20 years ago in 1999 - I caught the DMB and Stefan Lessard was playing this rather unusual looking Warwick.  I had just been turned onto the brand, mainly thanks to 311 and was familiar with the Corvette, Streamer and Thumb, but this bass was different.  It had an even wilder body shape with a really long upper horn.  I had no clue what the hell it was, but it looked and sounded great and he seemed to really enjoy playing it, which made me all the more curious about it.  Like a dog with a bone, I had to get to the bottom of this bass.  The internet was a bit different back then and there wasn't a whole lot to try and cross reference via eBay, but there was a little site called Bunny Bass (anyone remember this?) that took a tremendous amount of pride in archiving weird and strange basses.  Thanks to Bunny Bass, I figured out that this was a Warwick Dolphin Pro I.

Flash forward 17 years.  I've had many Warwick's, mainly Corvette's, some LTD's and Thumbs.  I know Warwick changed up some of the woods they used around 1996/1998, including the boire that the original Dolphin body is made of.  Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever find a somewhat affordable boire Dolphin.  From what HPW has said, between 1989-2019, during the 30 year run, there have been less than 500 Dolphins made, many of which were probably CNC'd after Warwick moved shops and increased their production for a mass market.  Well, here's my baby, first year of production, boire Dolphin in factory black with satin chrome hardware:

IMG_1259.jpg 
I was able to acquire it from its second owner in England.  She's a beast and is pre-MEC pups and pre-volute.  I believe there were around 15 Dolphins made in 1989; 1 was factory black.  The rhombus shape makes it perfectly balanced and she plays like a dream!

1989 Warwick Dolphin Pro I
2010 Ritter Roya
2003 Parker Fly FB4
Quote 0 0