Jason@FretNation
Have a string question for Jason?  Post it here!
Quote 0 0
Geri O’Neil Geri O
This may be a little touchy, but have you seen the StringJoy line of strings? 

There's a lot of positive feedback on their Facebook page, so I sprung (sprang? I've forgotten all that stuff!) for a $34 set of nickel-wounds and even though I gave them an hour, I was totally under-whelmed. 

I put them on my Mike Lull M5V Jazz-style bass and right off the bat, they didn't seem as out-of-the-package bright as even the Ernie Ball Power Slinkies that area my go-tos (which aren't as bright as a lot). In fact, the E string was downright dull, hardly any life at all. And when I did the witness point thing, the B string went totally useless with the flanger-set-to-fast sound, which has never happened with the EBs. NO amount of turning or resetting solved that problem.

I made a custom-gauge order which was close to the Power Slinkies, with one string difference and that was to get all the strings closer in tension. Once installed, I didn't see any big difference in the way they feel from what I was used to. I wish EB published their tension specs, but I like how they feel, play, and sound, and seemingly more so than anything I try. 

I would have given the StringJoys a longer test period, but between the nearly-dead E string and the now-unusable B string (which I'll gladly take the fault for), the set was useless, so in an hour, they came off and the 3-day-old Power Slinkies that I had removed went back on. Now we're talking. 

I will admit that at 61 years old, I may be resistant to change and set in my ways. Between that and all those reviews I mentioned earlier, I won't tell anyone to not try them. But I was kinda shocked at my experience with them considering all of the above. They offer a 100% money-back guarantee, but I'm not gonna bother them with it. And honestly, that's not the first of my money spent on strings that didn't last an hour on my basses. A friend suggest that they may work better on my Stingray, but over the years, I've used the Power Slinkies on all of my basses with the same great (to me) results, so I'm not inclined to go with that idea. 

Anyway, that was my experience with the StringJoys. I wish them well and salute them for their efforts. 

Fly Low, Fly LOUD
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
Geri O wrote:
This may be a little touchy, but have you seen the StringJoy line of strings? 

There's a lot of positive feedback on their Facebook page, so I sprung (sprang? I've forgotten all that stuff!) for a $34 set of nickel-wounds and even though I gave them an hour, I was totally under-whelmed. 

I put them on my Mike Lull M5V Jazz-style bass and right off the bat, they didn't seem as out-of-the-package bright as even the Ernie Ball Power Slinkies that area my go-tos (which aren't as bright as a lot). In fact, the E string was downright dull, hardly any life at all. And when I did the witness point thing, the B string went totally useless with the flanger-set-to-fast sound, which has never happened with the EBs. NO amount of turning or resetting solved that problem.

I made a custom-gauge order which was close to the Power Slinkies, with one string difference and that was to get all the strings closer in tension. Once installed, I didn't see any big difference in the way they feel from what I was used to. I wish EB published their tension specs, but I like how they feel, play, and sound, and seemingly more so than anything I try. 

I would have given the StringJoys a longer test period, but between the nearly-dead E string and the now-unusable B string (which I'll gladly take the fault for), the set was useless, so in an hour, they came off and the 3-day-old Power Slinkies that I had removed went back on. Now we're talking. 

I will admit that at 61 years old, I may be resistant to change and set in my ways. Between that and all those reviews I mentioned earlier, I won't tell anyone to not try them. But I was kinda shocked at my experience with them considering all of the above. They offer a 100% money-back guarantee, but I'm not gonna bother them with it. And honestly, that's not the first of my money spent on strings that didn't last an hour on my basses. A friend suggest that they may work better on my Stingray, but over the years, I've used the Power Slinkies on all of my basses with the same great (to me) results, so I'm not inclined to go with that idea. 

Anyway, that was my experience with the StringJoys. I wish them well and salute them for their efforts. 

I have no personal experience with StringJoy.  I did look at their pricing and it is quite costly compared to other name brands that have been making strings for a long time.  Price wise just about every brand I can get a NPS set to someone for less than theirs even in a custom set.

The problem with string tensions being published it usually ends up just confusing the end user or turning people away.  The tension numbers can vary so much depending on how they are figured I don't believe they are an exact science.  

D'Addario String Tension Chart PDF:  XLB105 - E' = 45.3 pounds

They changed how they calculate tension and now it is posted as 38.08 pounds for the SAME string formula! They didn't change the strings at all!  Just how the tension "Figures" are calculated...  So in my opinion, it is really best to base it off of how the strings actually feel to you rather than go by published "numbers." 

Quote 1 0
ajkula66
Well, Jason, you've started a most interesting thread and likely opened a thousand cans of worms at the same time...😬

In your opinion, which strings that are in current production are the closest in sound and feel to (sadly discontinued) La Bella Deep Talkin' Rounds ?

TIA
"...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Cheers,

George
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
ajkula66 wrote:
Well, Jason, you've started a most interesting thread and likely opened a thousand cans of worms at the same time...😬

In your opinion, which strings that are in current production are the closest in sound and feel to (sadly discontinued) La Bella Deep Talkin' Rounds ?

TIA

Tough one as they were pretty unique.  I don't know. 
Quote 0 0
ajkula66

Tough one as they were pretty unique.  I don't know. 

I was afraid of this very answer. Thank you. Will keep on searching and update everyone if I bump into something that sounds/feels similar...

Cheers,

George
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation

ajkula66 wrote:

I was afraid of this very answer. Thank you. Will keep on searching and update everyone if I bump into something that sounds/feels similar...

Most of the reason for the answer is I haven't played a set for YEARS.  So if I said something it would be just a guess, and I don't want to say something I can not stand behind.   

If I remember correctly and I need to double check with La Bella, they said they would make more if I ordered enough. 

Quote 0 0
fretlessman71
About 10 years ago, DR released a set designed by Jason Hellborg - the ones with a core and a single wrap for each string, where the wire gauge was 1/3 of the total string gauge. I liked the idea but thought it went a bit too far. How would one go about designing and having made a TRULY custom set where the core gauge gets larger as the final string gauge increases, but not quite to that extent? 
Quote 0 0
ajkula66

Most of the reason for the answer is I haven't played a set for YEARS.  So if I said something it would be just a guess, and I don't want to say something I can not stand behind.   

If I remember correctly and I need to double check with La Bella, they said they would make more if I ordered enough. 

Fair enough. I appreciate your candid approach.

I, for one, would be very interested in ordering these - in both long and short scale - but am uncertain of what would consitute "enough" for a large company like La Bella. I can't possibly swing paying for 500 sets or something along those lines...a thought to ponder, nevertheless. Thank you.

Cheers,

George
Quote 1 0
Jason@FretNation
ajkula66 wrote:

Fair enough. I appreciate your candid approach.

I, for one, would be very interested in ordering these - in both long and short scale - but am uncertain of what would consitute "enough" for a large company like La Bella. I can't possibly swing paying for 500 sets or something along those lines...a thought to ponder, nevertheless. Thank you.

Wouldn't need to be 500, but more than a couple dozen sets. I can sustain a decent amount but would prefer some sets on commitment by users. I'll see what I can do. 
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
About 10 years ago, DR released a set designed by Jason Hellborg - the ones with a core and a single wrap for each string, where the wire gauge was 1/3 of the total string gauge. I liked the idea but thought it went a bit too far. How would one go about designing and having made a TRULY custom set where the core gauge gets larger as the final string gauge increases, but not quite to that extent? 

Core is essentially plain steel. The heaviest plain steel I've seen is .026.  

Have you checked out GHS Balanced Nickels? I think they may be along what you're after. 

https://www.fretnation.com/ghs-balanced-nickels-bass-strings
Quote 0 0
ken
What were Deep Talkin' Rounds like?
Quote 0 0
ajkula66
ken wrote:
What were Deep Talkin' Rounds like?

Deep but definied and clear. Like Rotos without harshness, and smoother. I used these on my short scale basses exclusively since the 80s, and on some long scaled ones as well.

Cheers,

George
Quote 0 0
ken
ajkula66 wrote:

Deep but definied and clear. Like Rotos without harshness, and smoother. I used these on my short scale basses exclusively since the 80s, and on some long scaled ones as well.

Cool, but what about the feel?  For me that's just as important.  I used Rotosound RS66 for a long time, but just discovered SIT Power Steel and am sold.  But I like really stiff strings.
Quote 0 0
ajkula66
ken wrote:

Cool, but what about the feel?  For me that's just as important.  I used Rotosound RS66 for a long time, but just discovered SIT Power Steel and am sold.  But I like really stiff strings.

They were definitely not the stiffest string on the market. I'd grade them as being as stiff as SS Rotos, maybe a pinch stiffer. I can't tolerate mushy strings myself. They were much easier on both frets and fingers, though.

I don't believe I've ever had SIT strings on bass, so I really can't make a proper comparison there, apologies.

Cheers,

George
Quote 0 0
ken
ajkula66 wrote:

They were definitely not the stiffest string on the market. I'd grade them as being as stiff as SS Rotos, maybe a pinch stiffer. I can't tolerate mushy strings myself. They were much easier on both frets and fingers, though.

I don't believe I've ever had SIT strings on bass, so I really can't make a proper comparison there, apologies.

Cool stuff. I was really enjoying La Bella's Stainless Steel series until they discontinued them.  I might actually like these SITs even more, though.  So maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Quote 0 0
Unclebass
I was checking out Musicians Friend last night, looking for reviews on the GHS Balanced Nickels 40-101 set. I got a set of the 44-106’s from Jason and I really like them.  I do the same thing with Tirerack, great resource for info, but I buy from locals shop. I noticed that their prices on these as well as some other GHS sets were crazy high!  $52 for the 101 set, $40 for the 106 set, and $75 for a 5 string set. Is that a mistake, or is GHS going up on their prices? If so, it’s time for an order from FRETNATION!!
Quote 0 0
fretlessman71
What is the tonal difference between the GHS Balanced Nickels and the Pressurewounds?
Quote 0 0
fretlessman71
Has ANYONE heard from Jason? No replies here, no shipping notifications, nothing....
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
Has ANYONE heard from Jason? No replies here, no shipping notifications, nothing....

Any shipping requests please email. 
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation

I don't have any unanswered website emails.  We have been shipping every day. 
Quote 0 0
ronjcameron
Aloha Jason,

Bought a lot of stuff from you when you were BassStringsOnLine.  One of the products I bought frequently was Fodera Stainless Steel Extra Long Heavy Guage for my Lakland DJ5 35" scale tuned to Eb.  It seems that these strings are no longer available.  Do you have a recommendation for a replacement?
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
ronjcameron wrote:
Aloha Jason,

Bought a lot of stuff from you when you were BassStringsOnLine.  One of the products I bought frequently was Fodera Stainless Steel Extra Long Heavy Guage for my Lakland DJ5 35" scale tuned to Eb.  It seems that these strings are no longer available.  Do you have a recommendation for a replacement?

Thank you for reaching out! We haven't added Fodera to the website yet but we have them available!  If that is what you like I would stick with those!  Send me a direct message and I can arrange getting you the exact set you need. 
Quote 0 0
ronjcameron
Aloha Jason,

When your site whet down for a while, I looked at the Fodera website and found them there. I didn’t order them right away as I didn’t need any right then. Now, they don’t list the extra long heavy sets any more. Do they even make them?

Mahalo,
ron
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
ronjcameron wrote:
Aloha Jason,

When your site whet down for a while, I looked at the Fodera website and found them there. I didn’t order them right away as I didn’t need any right then. Now, they don’t list the extra long heavy sets any more. Do they even make them?

Mahalo,
ron

I'll need to look at your order history and see what you got before. Can you PM me your email address 
Quote 0 0