Nighttrain1127
I have been a Pressurewound addict for many years . Nice top end without the sizzle but still very articulate and nice deep bottom end. At one point I had 27 basses and all wore GHS Pressure Wounds . I have 12 basses now and 7 have Pressure wounds . I like the fact that there is not much string noise when you slide or in my case if you no longer have great flexibility in your hand and sometimes tend to drag a finger because it just won't do what you want it to do anymore. You don't make nasty screeching sounds. But mostly I like them for the tone.
Quote 0 0
soulman
Pressurewounds have been my favorite string ever since Jason suggested them to me back in 2011 or so.  On most basses they were the most versatile and expressive string I found.  I still use flats on my PBass but if all flats disappeared overnight I'd have no problem using Pressurewounds on all of mine.
WWJD/What Would Jamerson Do
Quote 0 0
Mr.Clean
Tried the Rotosound PW but to me they were just like rounds, including the zing (I would believe that the factory accidently put rounds in the package).
I might try the GHS PW but I'd have to know that they are *much* smoother than that.
For "smoothest feeling rounds that aren't coated or tapes" a lot of names pop up, including TIJRounds, Sunbeams, etc. There's no consensus, but I thought I would try to find a credible, definitive answer *here*. First post. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
soulman
Welcome Mr Clean.  I've been playing Pressurewounds since 2011 on both my Jazz Bass and a G&L L2500.  What I can tell you is that from a perspective of feel against the fingers they are far smoother than any round I've ever played and also smoother feeling than a ground wound like GHS Brite Flats.  This may help.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BRITE FLATS AND PRESSUREWOUNDS?

Both strings use Alloy 52 (a highly magnetic nickel-iron alloy) for the cover wraps, and have our signature core-to-cover ratio. However, the main difference is that the Brite Flats are wound like a roundwound string, and then ground smooth. This allows them to retain some of the clarity and punch of roundwound strings, but feel like flatwounds. 

In contrast, Pressurewounds have the final cover wrap run through two rollers during the winding process, which squeezes the string to more of an oval shape. This retains the roundwound character, but gives a smoother feel and a mellower sound; new, these sound like a set of rounds after a couple of weeks of playing.

I would actually disagree that the Brite Flats feel like a flatwound.  I play LaBella Flats on my PBass and GHS Preclusions Flats on my G&L Kiloton and both have a much smoother feel and mellower tonality than Brite Flats which sound like a mellower round wound  and simply feel like what they are.  Are round wound that's been given a flat top.

IME Pressurewounds have a very unique feel and tonality to them.  They're very tonally expressive, dynamic, very articulate and on the mellower end of a round wound scale but still provide that kind of "growl" I enjoy.  And while I feel the winding' my fingers glide over them without friction or significant finger noise.  I also prefer them to tapewounds.

Medium
I feel the illustration on the packaging provides the clearest look at how the string is constructed and what the outer wrap is like.

[image]

To me this is an even better comparison of the profiles of outer wraps on Compressions Wound/GHS Pressurewound (same string) vs a Round Wound or a Half Round/Ground Wound.  Most of the characteristics of a Roundwound are there in a Pressurewound but without the zing or the string feel and noise.

Hope this helps.

Quote 2 0
Mr.Clean
Thank you soulman.
If I try GHS PW I'll give them a fair hearing.
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
soulman wrote:

Medium
I feel the illustration on the packaging provides the clearest look at how the string is constructed and what the outer wrap is like.

The package is a generic image that is also used for boomers.  Doesn't look like your string photo is there so here is one of a round wound next to the pressurewound. 

Pressurewound on Top 
Round Wound on Bottom 

70186677_376862232994284_7020633806390427648_n.jpg 
Quote 0 0
soulman

The package is a generic image that is also used for boomers.  Doesn't look like your string photo is there so here is one of a round wound next to the pressurewound. 

Pressurewound on Top 
Round Wound on Bottom 

70186677_376862232994284_7020633806390427648_n.jpg 

Better than the illustration but even the illustration tends to show the wider more rounded wrap.  That's what I was shooting for and I don't have a photo like yours to show.  But in the end playing them side by side would clearly demonstrate their differences.  IME the PWounds just have a more comfortable feel.
Quote 1 0
Jason@FretNation
soulman wrote:

Better than the illustration but even the illustration tends to show the wider more rounded wrap.  That's what I was shooting for and I don't have a photo like yours to show.  But in the end playing them side by side would clearly demonstrate their differences.  IME the PWounds just have a more comfortable feel.

It is one of those things you definitely need to play to really understand.  The slightest visual difference feels like night and day. 

This is why string manufacturers can not just duplicate another companies strings...  Yes you can measure the core size and wrap wire size... but you can not tell how much tension the wire is wrapped at nor the speed or angle.  So many different factors go into making a string what it is.  The perssurewounds though, still one of my favorite strings and has been for over 20 years. 
Quote 1 0
soulman

It is one of those things you definitely need to play to really understand.  The slightest visual difference feels like night and day. 

This is why string manufacturers can not just duplicate another companies strings...  Yes you can measure the core size and wrap wire size... but you can not tell how much tension the wire is wrapped at nor the speed or angle.  So many different factors go into making a string what it is.  The perssurewounds though, still one of my favorite strings and has been for over 20 years. 

Mine as well.  Both my G&L Basses wear them and for me they're a perfect match for the dynamic range of those MFD pickups.

They're just extremely expressive.  If I want something tonally that's like a less bright and zingy round wound they can go there or if I want something closer to a mellow but still very articulate flat wound they can go there as well.  As I recall I got my first set from you in 2011 based on your recommendation and I've been playing them at least one bass ever since so that's 9 years and counting for me.
Quote 0 0
Tom B
I love them! Slowly putting them on all my basses, as a matter of fact I just ordered another set from Jason.
Quote 1 0
two fingers
I just got a G&L L2000 fretless. They have flats with red silks on them. Whatever they are, they are way to thuddy for that bass. 

I'm thinking of trying the pressure wounds. But I tend to like slightly higher tension strings. Where do the GHS Pressurewounds fall in the tension scale?

@soulman is either of your G&L basses an L2000?
Quote 0 0
soulman
two fingers wrote:
I just got a G&L L2000 fretless. They have flats with red silks on them. Whatever they are, they are way to thuddy for that bass. 

I'm thinking of trying the pressure wounds. But I tend to like slightly higher tension strings. Where do the GHS Pressurewounds fall in the tension scale?

I play them on my L2500 and on my Kiloton brother.

I tried two different sets of rounds on the L2500 before settling on Pressurewounds. I felt they were perfect for the L2500.  Being that yours is a fretless I'd day it's even more important you avoid rounds.  I believe you'll find that Jason will back me up on this as well.  He often recommends Pressurewounds for a fretless.
Quote 0 0
soulman
two fingers wrote:

Due to their hex core I would call them above average in stiffness.  Not quite like an old school flat but they definitely have some "tug" in them which I also like.

IMHO they're one of the most tonally versatile and expressive strings you can play.  With the G&L MFD pickups and L Series electronics I can get any tonality I want from bright and scooped to full and bottom heavy via pickup selection and by manipulating the PTB EQ.

On my Kilo I can very close to a P/J bass tone that's fairly mid forward but still very full or go to a series setting with a foam mute and get close to a PBass with more articulate flats.  I also tried two other sets on my Kilo before settling on Pressurewounds.

I've also played them on a Jazz Bass and will play them on a fretless if I decide to get one.  When you add in their "feel" and lower finger noise they're a pretty ideal string for most rock, blues, r&b, country rock, etc. and I will admit that if I could only choose a single type of string to play on ever bass it would be these.

Hope this helps.
Quote 1 0
two fingers
soulman wrote:

I play them on my L2500 and on my Kiloton brother.

I tried two different sets of rounds on the L2500 before settling on Pressurewounds. I felt they were perfect for the L2500.  Being that yours is a fretless I'd day it's even more important you avoid rounds.  I believe you'll find that Jason will back me up on this as well.  He often recommends Pressurewounds for a fretless.
soulman wrote:

Due to their hex core I would call them above average in stiffness.  Not quite like an old school flat but they definitely have some "tug" in them which I also like.

IMHO they're one of the most tonally versatile and expressive strings you can play.  With the G&L MFD pickups and L Series electronics I can get any tonality I want from bright and scooped to full and bottom heavy via pickup selection and by manipulating the PTB EQ.

On my Kilo I can very close to a P/J bass tone that's fairly mid forward but still very full or go to a series setting with a foam mute and get close to a PBass with more articulate flats.  I also tried two other sets on my Kilo before settling on Pressurewounds.

I've also played them on a Jazz Bass and will play them on a fretless if I decide to get one.  When you add in their "feel" and lower finger noise they're a pretty ideal string for most rock, blues, r&b, country rock, etc. and I will admit that if I could only choose a single type of string to play on ever bass it would be these.

Hope this helps.

Kewl. Thanks guys! I'm gonna give them a try!
Quote 1 0
Ronnie Brannan ronniebassplayr
I'd have to agree w/ @soulman regarding the tension, slightly above average. I had either the L7200 (40-96), or the ML7200 (44-102) set years ago, and remember them being a touch stiffer than other strings of similar gauges. One of the few string sets that agrees with my jazz bass.
Bassist with Blue Man Group, Cosmic Roots Collective, and SOY DIVISION.
Check out my bass gear demos and reviews here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJpVfneW0hveCeFUbfTLsng/featured
Quote 1 0