Tasty Funk Shakes
Back in the 90's when I stared playing, I loved seeing Warwick basses. Seems like every one of my favorite bands bass player had a Warwick...P-Nut from 311, Stephan from Dave Matthews Band, bass players for Edwin McCain and Toad The Wet Sprocket. There was a high end store here that carried them and I would go play them from time to time.

So one day I see in the newspaper classifieds (this is 1993-ish remember!) an ad for a Warwick bass for sale. It had no info, it was for sale by a credit company, it was a repo. There was no price. You name your price and the high bidder gets it. Sight unseen I offered $650 and about a week later got a phone call that I won the bid! So I went to pick it up...4 string Fortress Masterman in purple. Wenge everything, as was the style at the time. Really an awesome bass, which for some reason I sold a few years later. But since then I've had a Thumb, Streamer Masterman, and a Streamer JazzMan which I still have. All 4 strings.

But here's a picture of that Fortress Masterman from the 90's. Would love to have it back!

fortress1.jpg 
Quote 1 0
SynapticGroove
Great story! Love the Fortress Masterman. P-Nut helped introduce them to me as well.

1989 Warwick Dolphin Pro I
2010 Ritter Roya
2003 Parker Fly FB4
Quote 0 0
ajkula66
Jack Bruce played a Thumb when I saw him in the late 80s and that got me interested in Warwicks, along with the fact that Entwistle was flirting with the brand at the time as well. Ended up buying a very early Streamer, then Thumb and eventually a Thumb 5.

Marvelous sounding basses - there's nothing on the planet that sounds like the Thumb, IMO - but I couldn't get along with them ergnomically whatsoever. Love seeing them and hearing them when played by the others to this day, though.
"...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Cheers,

George
Quote 1 0
SynapticGroove
Love it!  Yeah, the Thumb is a really interesting instrument.  Like you, I've always loved the tone and when I had a LTD '03 (all maple) it balanced pretty well and had zero neck dive.

1989 Warwick Dolphin Pro I
2010 Ritter Roya
2003 Parker Fly FB4
Quote 0 0