Bassman8416
Hey Jason,
                I play a lot of diverse stuff. I have a Bacchus Jazz type bass....stock pickups and Sadowsky onboard preamp.
For many years using DR Sunbeams. The Sunbeams seem a little tame of late. So recently I put a set of D'Addario Half Rounds on and its close to something I would like to go with for a while...just didn't quite cut though in guitar driven music. Thats after trying all the live sound tweaks. Plus I need a little more growl on soloing.
Any ideas for something in between Half Rounds and rounds

thanks,
Craig
Quote 0 0
Unclebass
Two options from GHS.  Pressurewounds are stainless steel rounds with the outer winding compressed.  Less string zing and a more subdued tone.  Balanced Nickels are the other option(what I currently use).  They are rounds with a pure nickel outer winding and round core which gives them some flexibility.  If you go to FretNation.com home page and select GHS from the brands options, then select strings, you will see a brightness chart on the top of the page.  Pressurewounds and Balanced Nickels sit right between Bass Boomers (rounds) and Brite Flats (half rounds).  Both are great strings and have large praise threads on talkbass.com.  
Quote 1 0
Unclebass
You can also go to Youtube and find videos from GHS with sound clips from all of their strings, so you can compare both to their round wounds and ground wounds.
Quote 0 0
soulman
I'm gonna pitch in and agree with Unclebass.  GHS Pressurewounds have been my Goldilocks string on a Jazz Bass ever since Jason recommended them back in 2011.  I'm also using them on both my G&L L2500 and G&L Kiloton with MFD pickups which have a very broad dynamic tonal range.

While they're a bit mellower and have far less string noise than other rounds I don't feel I've given anything up tonally.  They're a very versatile string tonally but have a bit more "fight" in them due to their hex core.  I tend to appreciate that whereas others may not but it's something to be aware of.
WWJD/What Would Jamerson Do
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
The ones suggested GHS Pressure Wounds are my all-around favorite string.  Smoother than round wound feel, none to little fingernoise, fast and easy to play.   They also last a long time with the nickel-iron alloy. They do not have the brilliance of a full round wound but they cut through just enough.

https://www.fretnation.com/ghs-pressurewound-bass-strings

Quote 2 0
Bassman8416
Thank you all. I will try a set of the GHS Pressure Wounds.
Quote 2 0
Jason@FretNation
Bassman8416 wrote:

Sounds like a plan!
Quote 2 0
Bassman8416

Sounds like a plan!

So thats 37.5 from ball to wrapping with these? Did it used to be 36.5 ?
Quote 0 0
Jason@FretNation
It is 37.25" now. 
Quote 0 0
soulman
Bassman8416 wrote:

You're welcome.  Just sharing our own experiences.  Hope they fit your needs as well as they do mine.
WWJD/What Would Jamerson Do
Quote 0 0
Nighttrain1127
GHS Pressurewounds have been my go to strings for years but if it is some growl you want the GHS Balanced nickels are the way to go IMHO. The pressurewounds have some growl to them but are much smoother sounding overall .  The balanced nickels have a much more pronounced fundamental and A slightly more laid back top end. 
Quote 0 0